Last month was Asian-American Pacific Islander Heritage Month. We invited the Intentionalist community to celebrate the ways AAPI-owned small businesses are essential to our communities, and you showed up!
Throughout May, you demonstrated your support by sharing your favorite AAPI-owned businesses. Collectively, you highlighted 250 different businesses in your InTENtional Lists, and the overall Essentially AAPI Community InTENtional List celebrates the top ten:
- Phở Bắc Súp Shop
- Pink Bee Curry and Sandwiches
- Young Tea
- Phnom Penh Noodle House
- Raised Doughnuts
- Super Six
- Hood Famous Café + Bar
- Sweet Alchemy Ice Creamery
For our Lunch Like it Matters Zoom community lunch with Jess Estrada, you brought takeout from your favorite AAPI-owned spots and discussed what you ordered, where you got it from, and why.
Here’s what you brought to the table:
- Trout tod yum from Pestle Rock
- Pepper chicken from Orrapin Thai Cuisine
- Garlic Lovers with chicken and pineapple fried rice from Thai Thani
- Chicken sandwich and lonely waffle from Watson’s Counter
- Lunch box with sautéed shrimp and vegetables stir fry from Saigon Vietnam Deli
- Fish in chili bean sauce from Sichuanese Cuisine
- Vermicelli, summer rolls, and banana pudding with tapioca from Chuminh Tofu & Vegan Deli
- Tofu and veggie stir fry with Mongolian beef from Moonlight Cafe
- Onigiri set from Kamonegi
- Pad See Ew from Pink Bee Curry & Sandwiches
Asian-American Pacific Islander Heritage Month may be over, but AAPI-owned small businesses will always be an essential part of our communities. The road ahead for small businesses remains challenging, and we encourage you to use our Takeout & Delivery Directory and Gift Certificate Marketplace to continue supporting AAPI-owned businesses year-round.
Thanks for all that you do to #SpendLikeItMatters! Discover awesome brick + mortar small businesses in your community, suggest your favorites, and be sure that you’re following us on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter).
Intentionalist is your local guide to small businesses and the diverse people behind them. We believe that where you spend your money matters, and we’re sure glad you do too! Whether you identify as a localist, activist, or just a good neighbor, we make it easy for you to connect with, learn about, and support small businesses in your community through everyday decisions about where you eat, drink, and shop.